Friday, May 29, 2009

Religion...no thank you

I recently realized that I don't believe in religion. It's not for me and I doubt it ever will be. Now if you know me or have read some of my other blogs then I know you might be a little confused right now. I claim to be a Christian and by definition of the word I am one. I believe that there is only one true and living god and that He sent His one and only son, Jesus Christ, to die for me so that I could have everlasting life. But I don't believe in religion!!

I hate rules, absolutely positively hate them. I find them constraining and a negative force on my creative and free-flowing juices. I'm like the wind and rules are like huge brick walls stopping me from blowing freely. I just can't dig it (probably why I hated high school so much). Now you're asking "if I don't believe in religion then how can I believe in God?" Well that's simple, I believe in RELATIONSHIPS NOT RELIGION!!

For me religion often times focuses too much on rules, rituals, and traditions and not an actual relationship with God. People wonder how they can become saved and not feel any different. Well it's because they are focusing too much on trying to obey these rules and not trying to love and develop a relationship with God. People don't pray from the heart they pray from these templates they've read or learned. Focusing on rules and living the "religious" lifestyle is how so many people backslide and end up giving up on God. I just can't get down with that. I'm not a template, color in the lines kind of girl. I've got to love and learn God in my own way.

I also hate when people only are a part of religion for what they can get out of it. They don't want and love God for God but for what He can do for them. They don't want to be close to God, to experience His love, they just want Him to better their lives. Their prayers are like a request list when they should be more of an open flowing conversation. Here's how I explained to a friend of mine:
It's like a marriage. You should want to marry someone because of who they are
not just to get married or what the marriage could do for you. You shouldn't get
married because you just want a wedding or the wedding gifts. Nor should you get
married to a person because they are rich or have great connections. It's the
same with God.


Yes, God has the power to bless you financially and in other ways but that's not what it's always about. Your relationship with God shouldn't ONLY be about Him removing your debt, healing your illness or whatever else is an issue in your life.

I honestly and truly love God and before this Sunday I was almost frustrated with my religion. I'd take two steps forward and fall several back. Now I know it's because I can't rely on earthly people to tell me how to live my life. I know that as I develop my relationship with God my moral compass will become stronger and my ability to hear him when he speaks will become better as well. I won't have to rely on the rules of Christianity because God will place HIS rules in my heart and mind. I'm in no way knocking the church. As a matter of fact I still go and it works for me. It helps me find God and myself and define my relationship with him. But I still say it's time to put God first and religion second.

On that note I'm out!!


No comments:

Post a Comment