Monday, March 16, 2009

Race, Ethnicity, and Nationality

I'm am one that's all for embracing your heritage and where you come from and I acknowledge the differences from culture to culture. I also don't believe in defining a person by race alone, but I hate it when someone says "I'm not white, I'm **fill in NATIONALITY here**" (i.e. I'm not white, I'm German or Italian or whatever else). Ugh, that just does not make any sense. That's like me saying, "I'm not black, I'm American." Race and nationality ARE NOT interchangeable. When you fill out paperwork and they ask for race, you don't see Italian, African, or any other nationality so why would you try and correct someone when they call you white? It's what you are! Are you ashamed of it or something? Would you prefer the term Caucasoid?



Maybe it's silly of me to let something so silly bother me, but it does. I just want people to accept their whiteness just like I want everyone else to accept their race!

And while I'm on the topic of race, I'm so glad that people are openly admitting to wanting to be black. {{Man this blog is going to make me seem like a racist or a black supremacist}} Back in the day white people snuck into the "black world" and sopped up what the could of our culture. Then they drained it of all the juice and incorporated it until their own. I mean it's how Elvis (with his racist self) became famous. In today's society it's more than just our music, it's our style of dress, our attitudes, and strangely enough the traditions of our Greek-letter organizations. All of a sudden historically white fraternities and sororities are party hopping, stepping, doing hand signs and calls. I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery but dang. If you want to do all of this so badly why don't you just join an NPHC org!!



Anyway that's enough of that! Just know I love all people, no matter their color, creed, religion whatever!! Stay blessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment